History

Orig Steeple 001

 

The First United Methodist Church of Uhrichsville is the oldest religious society in the community. It was founded in the spring of 1836. Services were held in the homes of members and in the old “schoolhouse.” The first church sanctuary was constructed in 1839 at the corner of 4th and Main Streets. It was dedicated on November 25, 1840.
In 1867 the Methodist Episcopal Church of Uhrichsville purchased land on the southeast corner of 3rd & Dawson Streets. A sanctuary and parsonage were constructed in 1870 with bricks made at the site of the construction. The original steeple was 145 feet high (see pictures above).
On Palm Sunday, March 30, 1958, ground was broken for a new educational unit beside the church (Fellowship Hall building). It was opened for use on June 7, 1959.

 

December 1, 2018, Dennison Good Shepherd UMC merged with Uhrichsville First UMC!  December 2, 2018  we celebrated the first Sunday in Advent and our first Worship Service as a new congregation!

See the source image

Leave a New Comment